Bulk App UpdateBulk App Update

A post by my husband, Scott, who has spent way more time on this app than I have (and still does): He is the technical brain in our home and I love him for it!

_______________________________________________
Thank you everyone for trying out our Bulk locator app!

So far we have had over 1400 people sign up, almost 600 locations added to the app, with over 600 reviews of those locations.

Also, thank you for your patience as we work out some of the bugs in version 1.0 of this app…there is nothing like having 1400 people use the app, in order to find out what works and what does not work! And we greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Clearly this first release was targeted at just the US & Canada – but in fact, people were able to successfully add locations in Australia, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Spain, Switzerland, and the UK.

Our initial release was constrained by available time and funds – but we would like to build on the functionality to include:

• International mapping support
  • Additional platforms besides the iPhone and Android (e.g., PC, Windows mobile)
  • Ability to check for duplicate locations (right now, unless users check if a location has already been entered prior to adding it, I have to “delete” duplicates manually…so sorry about that!)
  • Ability to add comments
  • and more…
We have exhausted our funding from the Green Awards for this project – so we are now looking into raising funds possibly through Kickstarter to be able to enhance and support the Bulk app further.

For us, the best part of releasing this app was finding a new Bulk location on a weekend visit to Santa Rosa, 50 miles north of our home, and discovering a great store (the Community Market), with an incredible bulk selection. You should have seen the sparkle in Bea’s eye;)

This location also happens to be one of several locations that have received the most ratings:

• Whole Foods in Pasadena, CA
  • Sacramento Natural Foods Coop in Sacramento, CA
  • Community Market in Santa Rosa, CA
  • The Refill Shoppe in Ventura, CA
  • Refyll Home and Body at the Mar Vista Farmers Market in Los Angeles, CA
  • MOM’s Organic Market
    in Alexandria, VA
  • Town and Country Market in Bainbridge Island, WA
So thank you for continuing to share and rate your local bulk suppliers! You are the force behind this app, the locations that YOU add (and rate) make it a great resource for the entire Zero Waste community.

_______________________________________________
Thank you everyone for trying out our Bulk locator app!

• International mapping support
  • Ability to add comments
  • and more…

• Whole Foods in Pasadena, CA
  • Sacramento Natural Foods Coop in Sacramento, CA
  • Community Market in Santa Rosa, CA
  • The Refill Shoppe in Ventura, CA
  • Refyll Home and Body at the Mar Vista Farmers Market in Los Angeles, CA
  • MOM’s Organic Market
    in Alexandria, VA
  • Town and Country Market in Bainbridge Island, WA
  1. Melanie P. says:

May 1st, 2013 at 8:21 pm (#)

Hi, thank you so much for making this app, I am so excited to use it! I just bought your book and LOVE it. I am currently thinking about different ways to incorporate the zero waste mindset into my own life and have already made several small changes. So thank you for that too πŸ™‚ I think Kickstarter is a great idea and I would definitely make a contribution to this app. I am at the moment unable to use the app because it comes up in text that is too tiny to read and I can't zoom in. I have an Android, the Droid DNA by HTC for Verizon. It says the software version is 4.1.1. Hope this information helps, can't wait to use it!

2. g says:

May 1st, 2013 at 11:48 pm (#)

I am not a tech person and I don't use apps–I'm so old-school. But, I love this. Whenever I join the twenty-first century, it will be my first app. Thank you, thank you.

3. Wendy ~ www.wendymrobertson.com says:

May 2nd, 2013 at 4:18 am (#)

Every time I go to buy this app, it says my device is not compatible πŸ™ I have a Kyocera Rise which runs the Android 4.0 system.

4. Scott Johnson says:

May 3rd, 2013 at 4:08 am (#)

Unfortunately, we are finding out that not all Android devices are equal. There are 1800+ devices that run Android, so it appears that not all are created equal, and that for some devices the app may not work…we are checking your device with our developer.

thanks – Scott

5. Wendy ~ www.wendymrobertson.com says:

May 8th, 2013 at 7:22 pm (#)

Alright thanks. I'll just check back frequently and hope for compatibility at some point.

6. bronwen says:

May 2nd, 2013 at 4:30 pm (#)

yay! i love the community market and do most of my bulk shopping there. i was going to add it to app but didn't get to yet so i'm glad someone else did πŸ™‚

May 2nd, 2013 at 5:04 pm (#)

Hi Bea, your app is an awesome idea! Can you please explain the camera permission on the app? Why does the app need permission to take pictures from my phone at any time without asking me first? It sounds creepy! I have noticed this is common among many apps. Thanks!

8. Scott Johnson says:

May 3rd, 2013 at 4:11 am (#)

I think that is a general feature for most smart phones (iPhone or Android) – for an app to ask for your permission to access your photos…e.g., you don't want your FaceBook app to just automatically access and post any picture to your FaceBook account.

I am not an expert, but I think this is a good feature that prevents unwanted distribution of your personal photos.

thanks – Scott

9. Scott Johnson says:

November 21st, 2013 at 6:26 am (#)

Update: The app asks for permission to the camera because the user can add a photo of the location as part of the submission. The photo can be from their existing photos or it can be taken on the spot (hence the permission for the app to use the camera).

10. Mary says:

May 3rd, 2013 at 4:36 am (#)

Please add WinCo to your bulk stores! Here is their address:

3400 E South St Lakewood, CA 90805

11. Scott Johnson says:

May 4th, 2013 at 2:14 pm (#)

Someone has already added this location to the app…thanks – Scott

12. Birgit Sergeant-Rothfuchs says:

May 3rd, 2013 at 6:03 am (#)

Hi, can someone tell me please how to make this app work for France ? I really have no idea… I think the first step is to buy this app… and then ??? Thanks very much…

13. Scott Johnson says:

May 4th, 2013 at 2:08 pm (#)

Hi Birgit,
    Couple things:
    1. As I said in the post, the app does not officially work outside of the US / Canada (I guess it is due to a different mapping system)
    2. That said, there are a lot of people in Europe that have downloaded the app, and have added locations…so it appears to work in many European Countries, for the most part.
    3. There is no cost for the app…just use your smart phone (Android or iPhone) and install the app (e.g., search "bulk" in the app store and you will find it).

thanks – Scott

14. Birgit Sergeant-Rothfuchs says:

May 6th, 2013 at 6:48 am (#)

Thanks a lot, Scott. I just installed the app. Now I will go to see how it works and add my bulk store locations in the Bouches-du-Rhone… πŸ˜‰

15. Scott Johnson says:

May 11th, 2013 at 10:14 pm (#)

Salut Les Francais,

Unfortunately, it looks like when a location is added in France, the map system is incompatible with the app, and the app fails to find the "geo coordinates". However, as long as you input the name of the store & address, I can manually find the "geo coordinates", and then add the location (Malheureusement, quelques jours plus tard).

Merci – Scott

May 3rd, 2013 at 12:31 pm (#)

This app seems great. Cannot wait to see it in Europe, more particularly UK and France…:-)

17. Rebecca @ Love at First Book says:

May 3rd, 2013 at 12:53 pm (#)

Yay!!! I was the person who added MOM's Organic Market!!! πŸ™‚ It's the best bulk store and I can walk to it from my apartment!

18. Nya says:

May 3rd, 2013 at 9:05 pm (#)

I'm based in France but I use Windows Mobile, so I can't join the fun right now. I'll definitely contribute to your project if you start a Kickstarter fund-raising for a Windows Mobile/PC version. Go for it, you have so many fans, we'll make it work πŸ™‚

19. maggie says:

May 4th, 2013 at 12:00 am (#)

Community Market is our local market – i'm so pleased that you had a chance to visit it and give it a shout out on the ZWH blog!!
    we take our jars, bottles, bags and totes there 2x a week – we love it.

20. Krystal says:

May 4th, 2013 at 5:46 am (#)

Great app! I have added a few locations in Seattle, and will continue to add more!

My career is in mobile marketing, so I appreciate a well-designed app πŸ˜‰ Good luck with the additional funding!

21. elseseven says:

May 4th, 2013 at 9:30 am (#)

Great! I don't have a smart phone, so I can't really use it – but I think it's a great idea. Would love to see if anyone has any tips for bulk buying locations in Japan. πŸ™‚

May 4th, 2013 at 6:27 pm (#)

Just started ti download from austria and will add some locations soon !

23. nerissa mary says:

May 4th, 2013 at 11:26 pm (#)

I downloaded it the moment I read it was working in Australia. I will be adding all the stores I've found in melbourne!

24. .aquarienfisch says:

May 5th, 2013 at 8:49 am (#)

Woooow that's amazing πŸ™‚ I hope lots of Germans contribute to this app soon πŸ™‚ Phantastic idea, guys, way to go!!!!!!

25. Chacha says:

May 6th, 2013 at 1:49 am (#)

Great idea! I live in Australia and have started listing plenty of food co-ops. That will be so useful when travelling all around the country. Your life is so inspiring, thank you! πŸ™‚

26. home says:

May 7th, 2013 at 10:43 am (#)

Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

May 7th, 2013 at 8:18 pm (#)

Hi Bea, I live in Oakland, and Farmer Joe's at Fruitvale and MacArthur has a huge bulk food section.

A little off topic – when buying fish, sausages, bacon, cheese, etc., I bring my own containers. However, the butcher/deli person still cuts the product onto a plastic square before then putting into my container. And then throws the plastic square away. Has anyone else encountered this? Any solutions?

Thanks!
    Virginia

May 8th, 2013 at 9:38 pm (#)

That happens when staff members have not been taught to use the tare function on their scale. You just need to make a suggestion and they just need to learn! πŸ˜‰

May 8th, 2013 at 6:03 am (#)

I think the Kickstarter idea is spot on to raise funds.

May 11th, 2013 at 7:34 am (#)

YAy for this app, but it doesn't work for my KOBO VOX πŸ™

May 13th, 2013 at 10:52 am (#)

Thank you for this blog! I have been a follower since it was mentioned on " 100 days of real food". I need to stop using ziplock bags for freezing the bread that I make. I know that you buy your bread weekly, but how do you store it?

May 13th, 2013 at 5:01 pm (#)

Hi! I also love this blog and 100 days of real food. I think Bea mentions in a few places that she cuts her bread and stores it in the freezer in an old pillow case. There is a section in the forum where some other people talk about issues they had with pillow cases and other options they have tried. Hopefully this helps πŸ™‚

May 14th, 2013 at 6:48 pm (#)

I've added two (Texas) locations and the zip codes don't seem to be saving (thus nothing shows up in my vicinity). Is there an email for trouble shooting?

May 18th, 2013 at 10:13 pm (#)

I have had the same issue in both Alabama and New York. Waiting for some bugs to be fixed, but this app, not to mention the entire blog, has completely changed my view on life, so I'll be patient!

35. Marrena says:

May 14th, 2013 at 7:24 pm (#)

Do not have a smart phone. Has someone added the Harvest Co-op stores in the Boston area?

June 15th, 2013 at 6:37 pm (#)

Hi, I wanted to submit a german store but it didn't work – is it me or is it generally not possible to add stores to Germany? And thanks for your work, you inspired and taught me so much (I read all the blog posts and I'm currently reading the book…)!

37. amazinggrace says:

July 20th, 2013 at 10:19 pm (#)

No smartphone… πŸ™ Disapointed ! I'm evil's advocate but… old phone still works, why should i change it ? Guess i'll figure it out myself… any tip round Maastricht, NL ?

August 3rd, 2013 at 7:37 pm (#)

Another reader and bulk shopper without a smartphone – is there a way to create a list on the blog? Of the forums? I'd love to find more bulk shopping alternatives in my area.

I asked today at my local whole foods store (not the chain) about bringing reusable containers for buying bulk and I was told that it's a real pain in the neck for them. I only spoke to a cashier though, perhaps going higher up would help.

39. Bettina says:

September 23rd, 2013 at 8:29 am (#)

Thank you for mentioning Switzerland. I just adopted the app but I'm not able to find any shops; it's just not shown, not even the one that I have added myself. I can find it in my bookmarked ones (but not by the searching option), and currently I can't see if others have contributed at all and where in Switzerland. What do I do wrong?

40. Brad maddox says:

December 6th, 2013 at 6:18 pm (#)

ok

41. storage los angeles says:

October 17th, 2016 at 5:16 pm (#)

storage los angeles

“[…]Bulk App Update | Zero Waste Home[…]”

42. How to Eat Healthy… On a Budget | 947 Hits FM says:

October 31st, 2016 at 11:46 am (#)

[…] http://www.zerowastehome.com/2013/05/bulk-app-update/ ( this app is to help find places selling bulk locally) […]

43. Juliana Wiese Dallabona says:

November 21st, 2016 at 11:07 am (#)

I can’t find the app into App Store in Canada. πŸ™